Sun dried tomato pizza
So, I happened to have my two favorite ingredients in the fridge the other day. I had to prepare some recipes in advance since I am going on vacation soon, and I just thought, pizza is always the right answer. This vegan sun dried tomato pizza is so simple, yet so delicious.
Pesto and sun dried tomatoes are those foods I can never get enough of. So why not combine them as a pizza topping? I am sure that I am not the first person to come up with this, but it doesn’t matter, I am happy to spread the word.
If you want to know how to make this simple recipe and what ingredients I used, feel free to keep reading.
A piece of advice
Even if you never made a pizza dough from scratch, you won’t have any problems with following this recipe. However, if you are running short on time, or can’t be bothered, you can always purchase frozen pizza dough and just follow the recipe for the toppings.
I understand that it might be hard to find a good vegan mozzarella cheese that melts (depending on where you live), so you can just use any vegan cheese that works for you. I also think that vegan gouda would work well with this.
There are always a ton of questions about what vegan cheese I use, so I am just going to write it here. It is called Green Vie and it’s pretty great. It melts very nicely, especially when you leave it at room temperature for some time before using it.
For my European readers, the store I got my pesto from is called dm. I used to buy the one from Tesco, but sadly they don’t sell them anymore in my country.
When mixing all the dough ingredients together, make sure that you don’t use hot water, but only slightly warm. These measurements are enough for 1 pizza dough. If you need more than that, adjust the ingredient amounts accordingly. Try to roll the dough into a thin crust with a rolling pin.
I suggest you add the sun dried tomatoes on top after you bake the pizza, since they burn easily in the oven. Just remove the excess oil before that.
I baked this pizza on some parchment paper, but if you don’t have any, you can use a regular baking dish.
Sun dried tomato pizza
- For the dough:
200 g of all-purpose flour
1 tsp of salt
100 ml of warm water
10 g of active dry yeast
2 tbsp of warm water
1/2 tsp of sugar
1 + 1/2 tbsp of olive oil
- For the topping:
200 g of vegan mozzarella
sun dried tomatoes (as desired)
vegan pesto (as desired)
- Mix the active dry yeast and sugar with 2 tbsp of warm (not hot) water. Set aside for 5 minutes. In a deep bowl mix flour, salt, olive oil, the yeast and 100 ml of warm (not hot) water.
- Mix everything together, and when a dough begins to form start to knead with your hands. If it is too sticky, gradually add more flour. Knead until you get a smooth dough.
- Cover it and set it aside for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the topping.
- Grate the vegan cheese and put the sun dried tomatoes on a plate for a few minutes in order to remove excess oil.
- Put the pizza dough on a well floured flat surface, or on a piece of parchment paper. Take a rolling pin and roll it out into a large, thin, flat circle. Brush the dough with some olive oil.
- Sprinkle the vegan cheese all over the dough. Spread a few teaspoons of vegan pesto in a few spots. I suggest you add the sun dried tomatoes on top after you bake the pizza, since they burn easily in the oven.
- Bake the pizza in the oven for 10 minutes at 250 degrees Celsius. I bake mine on a piece of parchment paper, but you can use a baking dish if you want.
- Take it out of the oven and place the sun dried tomatoes on top of it. Serve while it’s warm.
If you liked this recipe, make sure you check out my other recipes like:
Feel free to tell me what you think about this in the comments below, or send me the pictures of your own vegan sun dried tomato pizza. If you did something differently, I would also like to hear that, I’d love to see the things you come up with.
P.S. for more recipes like this and a bunch of other stuff, follow me on Instagram, @margo_drobi.
Also, I recently started a Patreon page, where you can subscribe and help me create more/better content. In return, you will get an exclusive piece of content (recipe) each month. My plan is to increase the amount of that content if I gain a few subscribers. If you are interested and you want to find out more, I will leave the link to my Patreon right – here.