Vegan lemon slices
It has been a while since I made a cake like this. This is certainly nothing new, but I did my best to make a version of vegan lemon slices that is very simple. And I think I did it, super easy and quick recipe with simple ingredients.
Another great thing about it is that it is super delicious. I would recommend it to everyone really, especially if you like lemony (or fruity) cakes. It is obviously not the healthiest dessert in the world, so there is no need for me to write about any health benefits. But if you want some extra tips and advice in order to avoid some common mistakes, then keep reading.
A piece of advice
This is one of those easy recipes that you can whip up very quickly. You will not need a lot of dishes and the ingredients are quite simple. But as always, there are a few things that I must stress, to make this even easier for you.
Every time I mention vegan butter in a recipe, what I really mean is vegan margarine (at least that is what I use). And every time I mention full-fat coconut milk, I mean the canned one that in most cases forms some cream on top. It is often placed in the Asian food section of the supermarket. I would also suggest that you use freshly squeezed lemon juice, but you should also be fine with the bottled one. Turmeric is only used for coloring, you will not really be able to taste it. So add 1 or 2 pinches and mix until you are satisfied with the color.
I decided to experiment a bit with this so I added some rice syrup to the lemon cream, but I think you can switch this with sugar. As you can probably replace the sugar from the crust with rice syrup or something else (if you avoid white processed sugar).
When you put the baking dish in the oven, you can put another dish filled with some water at the bottom (the lower part) of the oven and let the crust bake. The moisture in the oven might prevent your crust from breaking. You can also make this crust gluten-free by using some other flour.
Don’t forget to mix agar agar and corn starch with some water before adding them to the lemon cream mixture. That way you will prevent them from forming clumps in the lemon cream. And make sure that you bring the mixture to boil over medium temperature, and to stir the mix every now and then (so it doesn’t burn at the bottom). Do not switch the temperature to high and do not overboil the lemon cream.
Let it cool down on room temperature before you put the vegan lemon slices in the fridge. I was to lazy to decorate this in any way, I just sifted some more powdered sugar on top. These measurements make a very small batch of vegan lemon slices (about 6 pieces). If you need more than that make sure to adjust the measurements accordingly.
Vegan lemon slices
- For the crust:
130 g of all-purpose flour
65 g of vegan butter (softened)
30 g of powdered sugar
- For the lemon cream:
45 ml of lemon juice
130 ml of full-fat coconut milk
2 tbsp of corn starch mixed with some water
½ tsp of agar agar mixed with some water
45 ml of rice syrup
2 tbsp of coconut oil (melted)
A pinch of turmeric
- Put all of the crust ingredients in a blender and blend for a few seconds. Ingredients should be well combined, and the crust should be soft but still crumbly. Line a small baking dish with aluminum foil and transfer the mixture there. Press it down and even it out with your fingers until you get a flat crust.
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 F) and bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool down. Meanwhile, prepare the lemon curd.
- Put the coconut milk and lemon juice in a small saucepan and put it on the stove. Turn the temperature to medium and add the rice syrup, starch/water mix, agar/water mix, coconut oil and a pinch of turmeric. Mix everything together and keep heating it while mixing often. Bring the mix to boil over medium heat and let it boil for 2 minutes, then remove the saucepan from the heat. At this point it should start to thicken a bit.
- Pour the lemon curd layer over the crust and let it cool down on room temperature. Transfer it to the fridge and leave it there for 2 to 3 hours until the lemon layer is thick enough to cut.
- If you want you can sift some powdered sugar on top of the vegan lemon slices before serving. These measurements make a very small batch of vegan lemon slices (about 6 pieces).
If you liked this recipe, make sure you check out my other recipes like:
Feel free to tell me what you think about this in the comments below, or send me the pictures of your own vegan lemon slices. If you did something differently, I would also like to hear that, I’d love to see the things you come up with.
P.S. for more recipes like this and a bunch of other stuff, follow me on Instagram, @margo_drobi.
Also, I recently started a Patreon page, where you can subscribe and help me create more/better content. In return, you will get an exclusive piece of content (recipe) each month. My plan is to increase the amount of that content if I gain a few subscribers. If you are interested and you want to find out more, I will leave the link to my Patreon right – here.
And that was it for today, if you are using Pinterest make sure you follow me on there, and if you want, pin this image: